Tuesday 31 May 2016

This Floats My Boat: Project Report

My two passions are sailing and self-management support, and last year I got the opportunity to run a project that combined the two! It took the most inordinate amount of work and really tested me. But I am really proud of the outcomes of the project and the steep learning curve that I've been on. 

The aim of the project was to extend the opportunity to sail through ‘peer to peer’ support for people with severe disabilities/long term health problems across Dorset, working with Chesil Sailability sailors, health and wellbeing groups and the ‘My Health My Way’ service, so supporting people to develop their confidence and therefore their ability to self-manage and take up and maintain healthy behaviours.

To deliver this, the project involved training current sailors as peer mentors to give talks to local groups about their experiences of coming sailing, support individuals to come along and provide mentorship. Accompanying the mentors, we also took a Hansa 303 boat to events, to help bring our activities to life for the audiences.

That bit was relatively 'smooth sailing'. The challenge was trying to measure that. Working with My Health My Way, we hoped to use the Health Education Impact Questionnaire (HEIQ) to measure the impact in a tangible way. With the complexities of signing up for sailing, and other factors, we didn't manage to get these completed. Thanks to advice from Wessex CLAHRC, we evaluated the impact using qualitative interviews instead. 

For me there were two big points from this that I've taken away. 
Firstly, the rate of 'attrition', as shown on the final page of the final report, shows just how much time and effort needs to go on to engage people! 
Secondly, redesigning how to do evaluation is so important to do early on, when the data isn't going to be there. 

An enormous thank you to my father, Hugh de Iongh, for supporting me through the whole project. 

The funding for This Floats My Boat was received from Dorset County Council’s Inspired by 2012 Health & Wellbeing Legacy Fund. 

Appendix 1 - Funding Application (not public)
Appendix 5  - Dry Sailing Session Template



1 comment:

  1. PERFECT  NUTRAL HERBS AND VEGANS CURE FOR Herpes 1&2 THAT WORK FAST WITHIN A COUPLE OF WEEKS WITH DR ELINFOH HERBAL MEDICINE,  I saw so many testimonies about Dr ELINFOH a great HERBAL DOCTOR that will help you CURE and give you the rightful health to live a joyful life, i didn't believe it at first, but as the pain got worsen and my life was at risk after using lots of ARV drugs from the hospital and no changes so i decided to give a try to Dr Elinfoh I contacted him also and told him i want a cure for Herpes , he gave me advice on what i must do and he deliver it to me in my home address i gave him and i got the medicine which i use according to his instruction, and today i must say I am so grateful to this man Dr Elinfoh for curing me from Herpes and for restoring me back to my normal health and a sound life and i am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to be cured from Herpes or any sickness should not waste more time just contact him with his details below, believe me this is the only way to get cured from Hepres , this is the real solution we all have been searching for. Do not waste more time contacting him today for you can also leave a sound and happy life. contact info below. Email: (drelinfohherbalhome@gmail.com) or WhatsApp or Call him on: +2348110492072. and you can as well contact him on other issues you are having like*HEPATITIS B*DIABETICS*CANCER*ALS*HERPES*BODY REDUCTION*BREAST ENLARGEMENT*FIBROD*CANCER*PREGNANCY MISCARRIAGE*Relationship issues etc.. ** Neoplasms*Cardiovascular Disease (CVD)*Chronic Respiratory Diseases* Mental and Behavioral Disorders*Alzheimer’s DiseaseEmail: (drelinfohherbalhome@gmail.com).
    Via whatsapp +2348110492072

    ReplyDelete